Restaurant and Accommodation
The options for eatery are limited. “Pangong Tso resort” is a famous hotel on the lakeside. They can offer some local venison, like Schizothorax, wild meat and bird eggs. But it is advised not to eat in consideration of environmental protection. Carry your own food will never go wrong.
It is the most convenient for you to stay in Pangong Tso resort, and the normal price of standard room is CNY160 per room. If you want to create peculiar photos, you can try to camp by the lakeside to capture the spectacular sceneries of sunrise and sunset. Of course, you will have more choice by going back to Rutog County
1. 8 kilometers away from Rutog County along Tibet line
There is a huge stone engraved with red words of ‘Pangong Tso’ by the lakeside, which is left to travelers who want to take a photo with “here I am’. In the wetland in front of the resort, you can take one or two obsolete small wooden boats as foreground. Keep moving and you will discover several corner are also good places to shoot the sceneries of lake and mountain.
2. On the way back and forth to bird island
It is a great opportunity to snapshoot the flyer when you are close to the bird island. The waterfowl are tweeting on the lake and seagulls are chasing each other on the quarter. You should try to creep and disguise so as to approach the birds as much as possible.
Pangong Tso is a destination for photographers and experiential travelers to appreciate exceptional natural beauty. Generally, as an important shoot place among Tibetan lakes, Pangong Tso is arranged in Ngari trip.
Plan A: Rent a car to Pangong Tso along Ali line from Lhasa and arrive in there seven days later. There are many attractions you can shoot, such as YamdrokTso Lake, Mount Everest, Tashilhunpo Monastery and so on. The whole journey is about 2,200 kilometers.
Plan B: If you start from Karghalik in Sinkiang, which will cost you three days. The whole journey is 910 kilometers. Spend a night at the lakeside and get to the bird islands by boat where you can have a close contact with Bar-headed Geese, Great Blackneaded Gull, etc.
Tips of Pangong Lake
1. An Inner Line Permit is required to visit the lake as it lies on the Sino-Indian Line of Actual Control. While Indian nationals can obtain inpidual permit, others must have group permits accompanied by an accredited guide, which is issued by the tourist office for a small fee.
2. There are some legends about Loong and lake monster according to the locals. Maybe you will come across one during your visit.
3. Although its elevation is not too high, you still need to pay attention to the altitude sickness.
4.Try to creep quietly and do not disturb the birds during your shooting. Please do not tread eggs under your feet and touch or sneak the eggs in the nest. Otherwise the birds will give up hatching the eggs.